By Amalia Otet, Associate Editor
The Bridges at Mint Hill, a proposed shopping complex on 210 acres in Mint Hill, has every chance to get back on track after being put on hold for more than two years, as Dallas, Texas-based Howard Hughes Corp. has entered a joint development partnership with Childress Klein Properties of Charlotte.
Howard Hughes Corp. took over the project from General Growth Properties, who owns 75 percent of the land—with the remaining 25 percent owned by Childress Klein Properties—as part of a bankruptcy settlement, according to a Charlotte Observer story. The Bridges at Mint Hill is located at the intersection of Interstate 485 and Lawyers Road and is currently zoned for approximately 1.3 million square feet of retail, hotel and commercial development.
In other news, the Charlotte Observer reports important progress on the Charlotte 49ers Football Stadium, whose construction is currently underway. The $47 million complex will be located adjacent to the Charlotte Research Institute and the U.S. 29 (Tryon Street) entrance to the campus and will include a 15,000-seat stadium—expandable to 40,000 seats—a field house and two practice fields. There will also be a 6,636-square-foot press box, a university box, and television and radio booths on the west sideline at the concourse level.
The project is scheduled to be complete in summer 2013, in time to host the inaugural home game on Aug. 31, 2013 vs. Campbell.
In other news, the Charlotte City Council approved a rezoning petition filed by Liberty Healthcare Properties of Mecklenburg County to allow construction of a new senior living community on 17.5 acres on Providence Road West. The vacant lot between Community House and Old Ardrey Kell Roads had been initially zoned for townhomes and single-family residences. If it comes to fruition, the planned development will include approximately 168 independent-living units in several buildings, ranging from one to four stories, a maximum 120-bed skilled nursing facility, and rehabilitation and recreational facilities, according to South Charlotte Weekly. While costs have not been determined yet, company officials expect to break ground on the new center in early 2012.