The commercial real estate crowdfunding space gets…crowded, prime office space in Chicago fetches prices high enough that some are using the dreaded “b”-word, and speaking of high, what’s above your retail ceiling? It’s all here in today’s commercial real estate news roundup.
- Studley real estate brokerage merges with London-based giant Savills, LA Times, June 2, 2014 – The merger and acquisition mania that comes with a more healthy economy is touching commercial real estate.
- Fundrise, a crowdfunding website, raises $31 million, NYT, May 27, 2014 – Another entry into the CRE crowdfunding sector arrives to compete with Realty Mogul and others. (Pictured company team apparently includes a very intelligent dog.)
- How data analytics is transforming the real estate industry, CIO, May 28, 2014 – A neat interview with Colliers CEO Doug Frye where he describes a surprising, consultative, data-centered approach to client service.
- How Ericsson’s big Santa Clara lease could revive region’s commercial real estate market, San Jose Business Journal, May 29, 2014 – Electronics giant’s new digs promise to affect the wider space market.
- Commercial real estate: the right environment boosts morale, attracts new hires, Vancouver Sun, May 28, 2014 – Take a glimpse inside a tech firm’s space challenges to get a sense of how this ever-growing office leasing subsector sees its needs.
- Sky-high office tower prices don’t signal a bubble, Crain’s Chicago Business, June, 2, 2014 – $652/sq. ft. in Chicago’s River North is a number that’s dropping jaws everywhere, but Crain’s is here to soothe any bubble fears.
- Deal of the Week: Katy industrial park, Houston Chronicle, May 31, 2014 –
- Joint venture buys large Cleveland industrial portfolio, Commercial Property Executive, May 30, 2014
- Converting commercial properties into homes, WSJ, May 29, 2014 – When the words “quirks” and “vision” appear in a real estate news piece, you can bet someone’s rehabbing a former industrial space for residential.
- Surging US industrial property demand outstrips supply, sending vacancies falling, rents rising, DC Velocity, May 29, 2014 – Favorable national market news, Part XXVII: CBRE and Jones Lang agree: the national picture for industrial is monumentally sunny.
- Brace for more big brands: Austin’s retail market is ‘blistering hot’, Austin Business Journal, May 29, 2014 – Texas’s music capital is attracting plenty of the other kind of capital – retail sales.
- Blight or boom? Rooftops essential to retail development, The Sentinel, June 1, 2014 – Retail customer experiences need not be defined by whatever goes on under the ceiling. There’s also the roof.
- Commercial real estate outlook: Braves move just one factor in Cobb’s retail, office market, Marietta Daily Journal, June 2, 2014 – The red-hot Atlanta Braves aren’t the only story in Atlanta.