Crowdfunding continues to catch on, mall re-designs may be a new national trend, CRE investor dollars are targeting the Midwest, industrial development booms. It’s all here in the Commercial Real Estate roundup for May 11, 2015.
- New SEC Regulations Open Online Syndications to More Real Estate Investors, National RE Investor, May 6, 2015 – New SEC guidance for Title IV of the JOBS Act paves the way for real estate operators to raise capital from non-accredited investors including crowdfunded real estate investments.
- U.S. Commercial Mortgage Originations Up 49 Percent Year-Over-Year, World Property Journal, May 5, 2015 – Year end momentum from 2014 carried into Q1 2015 with multifamily and industrial loans leading the way.
- Developers, Not Speculators, Buying Bank-Owned Properties, Globe St., May 5, 2015 – The improving economy providers a wider pool of buyers, especially developers and owner-occupiers.
- Leaders predict the future at commercial real estate forum, Richmond Times-Dispatch, Apr. 28, 2015 – Prediction: soon internet sales will impact malls so greatly that mall re-design, including adding entertainment options, multi-family housing and government services will getting a serious look nationally.
- Platinum Plan: NYC Hospitals’ Evolving Real Estate Portfolios, Commercial Observer, May 6, 2015 – There’s almost a million square feet of space under construction on NYU’s main medical campus Langone Medical Center. When complete in 2017, Langone will have added 2 million square feet to their portfolio.
- Investors targeting office properties in Chicago, Columbus, Detroit and other Midwest markets, RE Journals, May 5, 2015 – Companies establishing their headquarters like Quicken in Detroit Groupon in Chicago encourages investors to too seek office space in the Midwest.
- Real Estate Investors Seek Rising Industrial Strength, Investors.com, May 7, 2015 – 171 million square feet of new industrial space is due to be built to the US. That’s now approaching the high of approximately 184 million square feet in 2004-2008, and way up from 2011-2013
- Region’s strong industrial real estate market attracts national investments, BizTimes.com, May 4, 2015-Milwaukee’s industrial Q1 space vacancy rate falls to 4.86 percent which is almost a full point and half lower than the same time last year.
- Is Shopping Center Market Finally Positioned For New Supply Growth?, CoStar, May 6, 2015 – Vacancy rate for “highly competitive” retail space is down to 2.7 percent, that’s the lowest it’s been in a decade according to CoStar analysts.
- U.S. Chains Continue to Up Store Opening Plans, National RE Investor, May 5, 2015 – National Retailer Demand Monthly declares a positive outlook for the retail real estate markets according to a new report from RBC Capital Markets.
- HFF secures financing for multi-housing community near Disney, Orlando Business Journal, May 5, 2015 – $41 million in financing secured for Windermere Cay, a 380-unit garden style multi-family development located adjacent to Walt Disney World.
- Fall construction start eyed for apartment high-rise near Amazon towers, Puget Sound Business Journal, May 4, 2015 – 40-story highrise should begin development in the fall directly across the street from the Amazon.com offices. There is speculation that this development could mean thousands of new jobs will soon be open at Amazon.
- Hotel and commercial real estate crowdfunding sites launched, Opp.Today, May 5, 2015 – Bloomberg predicts real estate crowdfunding will top $250 billion in the US by the end of 2020.
- What Does the California Drought Mean for the Hospitality Community? HVS, Apr. 28, 2015 – A 25 percent mandatory water reduction from the usage rate in 2013 will affect the cost of water in the state for years to come.