The delivery of primary healthcare services on chain retailer floorspace – sometimes referred to the retailiziation of healthcare – is underway. Signs include:
- Walgreens pharmacists administered shots 5.5 million times out of the 9 million flu vaccines they delivered
- Industry estimates that there are now more than 1,400 clinics in retail chain stores, double the number six years ago.
- It is projected that by 2016, the number of retail convenient care clinics (CCCs) will double to 3,000
- Nearly 30% of the US population lives within a ten-minute drive of a retail clinic. That number rises sharply for chain retail, showing the way forward expansion-wise
- The demand for CCCs is rising as demand for healthcare generally rises thanks to the Affordable Care Act provisions ending the situation of 30+ million uninsured