Mall Is Well: Retailer Optimism Up In February
RBC Capital National Retailer Demand Monthly (NRDM): This collection of positive indicators comes from north of the border (RBC being Royal Bank of Canada) but focuses on US retailers. “Our database has about 1/4 of the 150,000 US retailers”, said analyst and report author Rich Moore. Report highlights:
- The view from the floor: According to the data collected, retail management teams “appear to have grown generally more upbeat about sales prospects going forward”.
- Retail employment statistics show increases, with sharp rises in retail hiring and average hours worked. The average work week for retail workers rose to 2006 levels.
- The analysts “look for store opening plans to accelerate further in the coming months”.
- Leading retailers in expansion of new stores: Subway, Dollar General, Quizno’s, Five Guys Famous Burgers, and Spirit Halloween Superstores
- On the rise in planned store openings: gift specialties, package stores, pawn shops, family restaurants. On the decline: books, salons.spas, housewares, and women’s apparel