Commercial Real Estate News Roundup For March 20, 2015
Crowdfunding for RE crosses the multiple billions milestone, the biggest ocean brings the biggest bucks, and e-commerce faces big box problems – it’s all here in the Commercial Real Estate News Roundup for March 20, 2015.
- Real Estate Reinvents Itself, Newsweek, March 11, 2015 Newsweek’s Tom Rendell takes a look at hot global RE markets in the week of MIPIM in Cannes.
- Real-Estate Crowdfunding Set to Top $2.5 Billion This Year, Entrepreneur, March 3, 2015 – 150% growth expected in the crowdfunding for real estate market this year.
- Attorney gets into the weeds on marijuana and commercial real estate, Sacramento Business Journal, March 12, 2015 – Here in the early days of marijuana legalization, jokes about pot slang in headlines aren’t cliches yet!
- Wisconsin Dells waterpark sale, land for Cabela’s among top commercial real estate deals of 2014, Wisconsin State Journal, March 3, 2015 – The venerable summer getaway for Chicagoans and Milwaukeeans seeks new buyer. At press time, no word on the fate of Tommy Bartlett or his Water Show.
- Asians Top Foreign Commercial Investors in Canada and U.S., World Property Journal, March 13, 2015 – If you’re in US commercial real estate, international capital flow volume is greatest across the Pacific.
- Investors Getting Ready For Argentina’s Real Estate Resurrection, Forbes, March 10, 2015 – Forbes says long gone are the memories of Argentinian grandmothers attacking the country’s nonfunctioning ATMs with umbrellas – property markets are back.
- Germany tops US, UK in global retail market, PYMNTS, March 6, 2015 – More retail profits find their way back to Deutschland than any other nation on Earth – for now.
- Columbia Center sale: Why Beacon is getting out when the getting’s good, Puget Sound Business Journal, March 11, 2015 – Hot markets always turn some holds into sells – and in the Pacific Northwest, Columbia Center is the local emblem for that hot market.
- Blackstone Strikes Deal on Chicago Tower, WSJ, Feb. 15, 2015 – Sears Tower (I’m from Chicago, I’m sorry, I can’t change what I call it) lands in Blackstone’s already-massive portfolio.
- D-FW tops U.S. in industrial building, Dallas Morning News, March 3, 2015 – And what’s driving that boom? Spec development and logistics.
- E-Commerce “Isn’t Just Small Boxes” GlobeSt., March 11, 2015 – Third party logistics centers thus far have serviced “small box” e-commerce operations. But what happens when the box is a durable good and not a pink dog collar?
- Massive Store Closings Will Reshape Retail Landscape As Online Newbies Take Over Locations, Forbes, March 10, 2015 – The US retail vacancy rate has fallen over the past few years, but that’s because the latest wave of closures aren’t in those numbers.
- Maine retailer L.L. Bean plans to triple its stores, Boston Globe, March 11, 2015 – Meanwhile Down East, the news is much rosier nationally.
- UMd. goes on real estate spree in College Park, Washington Post, March 8, 2015
- 10 must-see multifamily developments coming online in 2015 and beyond, RE Journal, March 4, 2015
- Multifamily Market Adds $63B to Local Economy, GLobeSt., March 13, 2015