Commercial Real Estate News Roundup For August 31, 2015
Baby boomers and millennials have more in common than we thought, office construction surges in largest commercial market, medical offices in residential centers are very desirable, retail and multifamily rentals are getting harder to find — and more. It’s all here at the Commercial Real Estate National News Roundup for August 31, 2015.
- The Future That Boomers, Millennials Have in Common, GlobeSt.com, August 28, 2015 – “New urbanism” trend requires city centers to be more attractive to boomers and millennials.
- Can Blackstone’s Real Estate Business Keep Growing?, The Real Deal, August 26, 2015 – Continued growth for the giant seems likely due to fund investors holding stakes in Blackstone’s private equity and/or hedge funds.
- A Whole New Set of Demographics, GlobeSt.com, August 24, 2015 – GlobeSt’s 15th Anniversary triggers contemplation about the current market drivers and how most didn’t see the trends of boomers, immigrants and millennials leading the way in CRE in 2015.
- 5 Best Office CBDs to Invest In, National Real Estate Investor, August 27, 2015 – Office buildings in central business districts evaluated on cost and rising expected returns across the country.
- New York City Office Construction Heats Up, The Wall Street Journal, August 26, 2015 – Construction of new Gotham office space hits 25 year high.
- Medical Office Properties Command Investor Attention, National Real Estate Investor, August 24, 2015 – Boomers aging over next 10 years push demand for single and multi-tenant medical office buildings (MOBs) located near residential urban centers.
- JLL Wins $103M Industrial Portfolio Gig, GlobeSt.com, August 27, 2015 – Nine-figure deal includes class A, B and C industrial space that is located in submarkets between Tampa and St. Petersburg area.
- Strongest Landlord Market for Chi. in 30 Yrs., GlobeSt.com, August 25, 2015 – Greater Chicago area’s Q2 absorption, vacancy, leasing and level of new construction activity potentially historic.
- Marijuana Producers Gobble Up Warehouse Space in Denver Area, The Wall Street Journal, August 25, 2015 – Small businesses are struggling to find warehouse space due to 400 marijuana distributors’ constant need for more grow space.
- Consumer Confidence Soars, Retail Spending Follows, National Real Estate Investor, August 27, 2015 – New Cushman & Wakefield research shows consumers are in a good place and finally spending again.
- Resuscitating Dead Malls, Commercial Property Executive, August 25, 2015 – Creative use of space requires service providers like banks and law firms to be flexible and adjust to outside of the box options for new uses for large spaces.
- Cause and Effect of Shrinking Retail Inventory, GlobeSt.com, August 25, 2015 – Landlord’s market means rising rents and lack of retail space should drive redevelopment and new projects over the next few years.
- The Biggest Shift in Apartment Management, GlobeSt.com, August 28, 2015 – Value-add deals and Class-B product now more attractive to investors.
- Investors Charmed by LA’s Rosy Economics and Hot Multifamily Market, National Real Estate Investor, August 25, 2015 – Multifamily, hospitality and a booming job market are all making LA highly attractive to investors.
- In Demand: Top Cities for Multi-Family Rentals, Commercial Property Executive, August 24, 2015 – Developers can’t keep up with demand for multi-family housing in 11 U.S. cities by population.