Commercial Real Estate News Roundup For August 20, 2015
(Above: Fed Chair Janet Yellen addresses Congress).
Will she or won’t she (raise rates)?, Chinese capital jetting around the globe, Facebook’s $1B like-button storage facility, and hospitality sector optimism put to the test. It’s all here at the Commercial Real Estate News Roundup for August 20, 2015.
- CRE Market Plateauing? New Sentiment Survey Shows This May be the Case, National Real Estate Investor, August 13, 2015 – A note of caution is creeping into the red-hot national market for commercial space, says one survey.
- CRE Surge Sparks Bubble Fears, The Real Deal, August 13, 2015 – More anxiety about a market top.
- Market indicating Fed won’t raise rates in September, CNBC, August 12, 2015 – Will she or won’t she raise rates? CNBC, speaking for all fans of cheap money, hopes aloud that she won’t.
- New York Real Estate Just Got More Expensive For Chinese Investors, Realty Today, August 14, 2015 – The travails of pacific rim capital finding a home on Manhattan island.
- Chinese Investors Flocking to Thailand Property Deals, World Property Journal, August 13, 2015 – Stromg currency and a giant resort marketplace practically next door are adding up to a rise in Chinese investment in Thai property.
- Apartment-Construction Market Thrives in Berlin, Commercial Property Executive, August 11, 2015 – Cosmopolitan amenities including advanced housing concepts are making Berlin even more attractive to apartment developers and renters.
- Chinese Developer Buys Two Seaport Sites, GlobeSt.com, August 10, 2015 – At first I misread this as “buys two seaport cities,” and thought ” that seems like overkill”. But the fact that I even considered the possibility speaks volumes about how much capital is pouring out of China.
- Need Big-Box Space? Good luck, Industrial Experts Say, National Real Estate Investor, August 14, 2015 – Big-box new space demands are still there despite the ongoing war with e-commerce. Construction pace is lagging, says JLL industrial broker.
- Self-Storage Keeps Hitting Historic Highs, GlobeSt.com, August 13, 2015 – Growth in self-storage – at least as reflected by four key REITs – is pointed skyward.
- Data Centers Demand Rises as High as the Cloud(s), National Real Estate Investor, August 10, 2015 – Facebook’s $1B data center shows a growing sector passing a milestone and promising to knock down all future milestones.
- Economy Watch: See-Saw Retail Sales, Commercial Property Executive, August 14, 2015 – Census figures on retail sales look like a yo-yo from month to month, but year-over year are up 2.4%.
- Luxury Retailers Flourish, But Create Limited CRE Demand, National Real Estate Investor, August 13, 2015 – Revenues climb for the ritziest names in retail, but has that translated into expansions?
- Retail Supply Hasn’t Caught Up With Demand, GlobeSt.com, August 13, 2015 – On the west coast, product shortages are defining the commercial property market.
- Macy’s (M), Tishman Speyer Enter Real Estate Purchase-and-Sale Agreement in Brooklyn, StreetInsider.com, August 12, 2015 – Macy’s hops the borough border in a Brooklyn deal.
- The Future of Multifamily: Demand Continues to Rise, But How Will We Keep Up?, National Real Estate Investor, August 14, 2015 – How high does this rollercoaster go, anyway?
- MF Landlords Go All Out with Amenities, GlobeSt.com, August 14, 2015 – It’s not enough to offer apartments and space on the US’s most expensive land. Now, creativity has to appear in the Manhattan multifamily mix.
- Investors Bank Lending Grows in MF Sector, GlobeSt.com, August 13, 2015 – Investment bankers discover multifamily sector, suddenly realize their jobs include stepping away from the casino table to, you know, allocate capital.
- Multifamily Investors Flocking to the Granite State, Commercial Property Executive, August 12, 2015 – New Hampshire’s MF sector
- DC’s Unquenchable Thirst for Apartments, Commercial Property Executive, August 10, 2015
- French Lick Resort’s $600 Million Restoration Completed, World Property Journal, August 14, 2015 – A massive restoration of a classic resort in Indiana captures the imagination — and hundreds of millions in budget.
- Hotel Transaction Activity Reenergized in Charleston, Commercial Property Executive, August 14, 2015 – Take a look at the details of a $29MM 250-room JV transaction in Chucktown.
- Hoteliers Safe from Airbnb, For Now, GlobeSt.com, August 11, 2015 – Tech disruption of hospitality has reached its limits, say CEOs, but bond ratings agency wonders aloud if that’s pollyanna talking.
- Builders Plan Hundreds of Homes, Apartments in $700 Million Richardson Project, Dallas News, August 13, 2015 – North Texas: where the apartment deals run as big as the cattle ranches.
- Abele Fast-tracks Park East Land Sale to Bucks, Awaits Action by Comptroller, Milwaukee Business Journal, August 12, 2015
- Avon, Amherst commercial land sales top $1M, The Morning Journal, August 12, 2015 – Meanwhile, on the shores of Lake Erie, land deals are shaking the rust off the Rust Belt.
- John Paulson Reaps Real Estate Gains in Land Sales, Bloomberg Business, August 12, 2015 – A big, big land portfolio enters the sell side.